Mega Makeup Issue – Part 1
March 22, 2016
A new year necessarily brings new launches in makeup. The new innovations out there are sometimes frighteningly intelligent and some products really do still blow my makeup artist mind. When I think I’ve seen it all, something new launches that has me going whaaaaa? Because I have been testing and trying all these products myself there are quite a few things I think worthy of sharing with my readers. Because yesterday was a public holiday I decided to launch this feature today – I didn’t want you to miss a thing! Tomorrow I’ll share Part 2 of Mega Makeup Issue, so keep an eye out for that too.
- Seen in the featured image right at the top of the feature is the new LANCOME TEINT IDOLE ULTRA COMPACT FOUNDATION. You have flawless complexion under control with this comfortable matte looking powder foundation. Where some powder foundations might make skin feel stretchy and dry, this one almost transforms like soft matte veil on the skin. With Pearlite and Eternalsoft Technology skin stays completely comfortable, still radiant and with an effect that lasts for up to 24 hours. Available in 8 shades in SA this sleep piano black compact houses the product, mirror and compartment to keep the application sponge. Perfect to use on it’s own to give you a matte cover, build for heavier coverage or as a touch-up over your Teint Idole liquid foundation, this is a perfect launch if you prefer a powder compact cover.
- Also in the foundation department is the MAYBELLINE DREAM VELVET SOFT MATTE HYDRATING FOUNDATION. I couldn’t wait to try this, I’ve heart do many great things and I wasn’t disappointed. This lightweight gel-whipped liquid glides on easily, blends like a dream, lets skin breath, but offers great light coverage. I tested the hydrating factor and my skin really did feel hydrated all day long, never losing that comfortable feeling. It has a ‘filter’-like finish on the skin which looks absolutely fabulous in pictures, trust me! There are 7 shades available to choose from, so go try it, you’ll love it.
- In the primer department this new launch, the ELIZABETH ARDEN FLAWLESS START INSTANT PERFECTING PRIMER has me somewhat excited. This is a blurring primer on steriods. It’s silky, lightweight, makes skin look absolutely perfect even before you’ve applied foundation (yes, that good) and creates the most flawless canvas to live out your inner artist and create the most beautiful makeup looks – it’s really quite inspiring. It smoothes the texture of skin, reduces pore size, makes lines and wrinkles appear less visible. It’s oil-free, blends easily, can be used on it’s own, under foundation, over makeup as a spot touch-up and will ensure the longevity of your makeup look. The triple blurring effect, time release skin balancing technology and longwear polymers make this primer one of the best I’ve ever used. Only a small amount makes an astronomical difference in the look of your skin. Leave it to settle into skin for around 15 seconds before applying makeup over it and you’re set for makeup magic, baby!
- Ever needed something you can spritz/mist/spray over your makeup application to make it last longer? This new kid on the block will set makeup and make it last longer – for real! L’OREAL INFALLIBLE FIXING MIST is the absolute bomb. It’s what you’ve needed all the time if you’re one of those girls that complain that your makeup melts off by 10am. It helps makeup look just-applied all day long with it’s micro fine texture that sets makeup after you’ve created your masterpiece. Shake the bottle, hold it about 20cm away from your face and spritz in a X and T figure over the facial area. Makeup won’t crack, fade, melt or move!
- For the Benebabes comes the BENEFIT POREFESSIONAL MATTE RESCUE INVISIBLE FINISH MATTIFYING GEL and the POREFESSIONAL INSTANT WIPEOUT MASKS. For a selfie ‘situation’ these are the ultimate two secret weapons to desecrate shine and pores. Called the ‘no-filter filter’ the gel has an invisible finish, blurs pores and mattifies at the same time. The gel is water based and absorbs excess oil on the skin surface. Blended with diamond powder because of it’s soft focus blurring effect pores also looks instantly smaller. When it comes to the masks, the super effective pore cleaning masks will instantly smooth out the pore situation around your nose area. Also used on the chin and forehead the special textured fabric exfoliates and removes impurities trapped in the pores around these areas. A box contains 8 masks for those dire emergencies and if I can let you in on the magic ingredient – mushroom extract which is known for it’s purifying properties.
IT’S A BLUSHING BUSINESS
- For my more refined readers I’ll take care and only call myself a bronzer freak (you all know what I really want to say). My obsession with bronzers through all seasons is a tale as old as time. I cannot do without a bronzer. It’s my staple product for winter, spring, summer, fall, I use a bronzer for them all. They can be used to warm a too light foundation (if you know how to do this), add a healthy glow to your skin, can double up as a great looking eye shadow, depending on the compact or shade, also used as a highlighter. I always look out for all-rounder compacts like the OFRA COSMETICS (totally and utterly OBSESSED with their products!) 3D PYRAMID EGYPTIAN CLAY BRONZER (far right above) and the BLUSH/BRONZER ILLUMINATING BLUSH STRIPES (far left). These two palettes are simply mind blowing with it comes to pigment, texture, effect, glow, application, longevity – it’s everything you want out of highlighting and bronzing. If I rave about this brand’s products too much, stop reading because there’s going to be alot of gushing when it comes to OFRA. The shades used on their own as eye shadow colors or in a quick swipe across lips, with a bronzer brush blended together for glow across the skin or as a highlighter on the highest spots on your face – brilliant!
- In the illuminating department I kinda fell for the NYX COSMETICS ILLUMINATOR COMPACT. Initially when I saw the color it reminded me alot of that super popular NARS blusher every woman on earth wants and when I read the name of this shade called Narcissistic, I had to giggle – a very clever play of words. Having a slight peachy look in the compact, this illuminator offers a very subtle warmth to skin in a pearly finish. I used it as a very soft blush and also as a highlighter with great success. It gives cheeks a full glowing look when applied just above the cheekbone, down the centre of the nose, temples and middle of the chin. Absolutely beautiful product.
- A very welcome launch in the blush department is the MAYBELLINE FACE STUDIO MASTER BLUSH IN CORAL FEVER. It seems the coral cheeked look is the look to have with most brands launching something that really does remind me of that specific NARS shade. This specific shade from Maybelline is just stunning. It gives a feminine healthy glow to cheeks, operating as a proper blusher and not a bronzer because of it’s coral hue. The texture is super fine and pigments are intense for statement cheeks.
- Back to OFRA (I told you alot of gushing), as a full-on acting bronzer, I have been using their AMERICANO BRONZER quite a bit. High in pigment and velvety in texture, this mineral based bronzer gives the face a bronzed sculpted look with no effort at all. I use it in light sweeping movements over the highest points on my face as well as over my collar bones and shoulders for a beautiful glowing look.
PAYING LIP SERVICE
- Two brands stood out for me in the latest lip launches. Maybe because that’s my lip lust list and they offer the things I’m looking for in a lip product at the moment, but shade wise, I’m in love with the OFRA (yes again) LONG LASTING LIQUID LIPSTICKS in Angeles (nude), Las Vegas (pink) and New Orleans (dark black purple). These creamy liquid lipsticks are an absolute pleasure to wear. They have a matte finish but do not dry lips out or flake while wearing at all. The formula contains anti oxidants and vitamin E and I really really really appreciate that these colors do not fade or feather during the day. I must say, whenever I’m wearing these three shades I’m positively raking in the compliments – they make lips look fabulous.
- Another matte lip launch is L’OREAL INFALLIBLE MATTE MAX DESIGNER LIP PEN. This is one of the concepts that I had to get my brain around, it’s just awesome. True innovation at it’s best. The gel-to-powder (I know right?!) formula delivers soft matte, but pigmented color with a really special delivery system. The sponge applicator dips into the pigment that is housed in the lid every time you replace and close it. The 8 hour wear formula is buildable and the liner tip can be used to define lips then fill them in. The powder does not dry lips at all and the wear is gorgeously matte, just like one of those silver screen vintage heroines of old.
Keep a look out tomorrow for the newest in eye and hand/nail launches in the Mega Makeup Issue Part 2!
Did you like this post? Share it with your friends!